Wednesday, January 14, 2009

at least this one has a better name

I received my diagnosis yesterday. It is Sjogren's Syndrome (pronounced SHOW-grins).
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks its own moisture producing glands. Sjögren's is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders, striking as many as 4,000,000 Americans. Nine out of ten patients are women. The average age of onset is late 40s although Sjögren's occurs in all age groups in both women and men.
I do not have the associated Lupus with this diagnosis. I believe mine is only mild. I do have the dry eyes, mouth and skin. But no issues talking, eating, or dental decay (thank goodness). There is some scary stuff out there regarding the disease, but I am not letting it get me down. I see a Rheumatoid Dr on Feb 23. MotoDiva has Rheumatoid Arthritis and I am going to see her Dr.

The goods news is the research I found shows that you can have very normal pregnancies with this disease and it is no reason to postpone family planning. Now we have to decide if we want to wait until I talk with the Dr, lose weight, or start now. Why is being an adult so hard at times?

So that is my new auto-immune disease. I already got the good eye drops (I thought my dry eyes was due to computer usage) and good skin cream. I am prepared. I am going to beat this, just like the Graves'. Exercise and healthy diet have to help right?

AJ is always amazed at how quickly I drink. Now I understand why, I am simply thirsty all the time due to the dry mouth. Thank goodness for sugar-free gum.

I will keep everyone updated. It is all good. I am doing good with the diagnosis, just focusing on being healthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missy you have now officially joined a huge group of mostly women.

There is treatment for Sjogren's , but no cure. It takes an average of 8 years after complaining of symptoms for most people to get diagnosed.

There are some pregnancy issues requiring closer monitoring.

I have put out website with accurate information , as there is a lot out there that is just false.

Paula
www.sjogrens.netfirms.com