Thursday, November 09, 2006

Goodbye 20s - a couple of days early

Today is my last Thursday of my Twenties. So much has happened over the last 10 years. I am a completely different person than when I entered my 20s. When I entered my 20s I lived at home, had a boyfriend (he proposed Feb 97), was attending college, just joined WW for the first time, and worked for my parents - my dad was still alive. Now I live in my own home, have a wonderful husband and beautiful daughter, have completed two degrees, work as an Accounting Manager, I at least chat with my mom on a daily basis, and while I still struggle with my weight, I feel much more comfortable in my own skin

My 20s were a rollercoaster ride. I experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. My thyroid broke and flipped. I lost weight, gained weight, lost weight, and gained weight. I experienced depression, went on meds, off med, back on meds, and then resolved to try and do without them. I lost many family members and friends - family to death, friends to life. I completed two half marathons. I continued with my schooling even when Sweetie lost his job. I met incredible people who I am happy to say are still in my life. I reconnected with lost friends that mean the world to me. And I became closer with my brother and SIL. I made my family a priority. I made myself a priority. I felt sorrow, heartache, emptiness, happiness, accomplishment, love, and giddiness.

I learned that life is too short to hang around people that do not amaze you. This includes you. You need to amaze yourself. I am finally at a point where I amaze myself. I learned that you never know when you will receive a phone call or email that will change your life forever. Regardless of what the Boy Scouts say, you can never be prepared. I learned, in a very difficult way, that you can never be in control. I learned that family is the most important thing in the world. I learned people are human. I learned that I do not like traveling without my husband beside me. I learned that I am deeply moved by tradition and want nothing more than to pass our silly ones on to the next generation. I learned that I can do anything that I put my mind to. I learned that there is nothing sexier than self confidence. I learned to forgive those who hurt me. I learned that relationships change and, if you are lucky, for the better - and I am so very lucky. I learned that you can fall in love with your husband time and time again - for completely different things. And I learned that at the end of the day, all I want is to watch Simpsons and other stupid TV with Sweetie.

While my last day of my twenties is not until Saturday, tomorrow is the beginning of my celebrations. So today feels like the last day. And since you know me, you should know that I am a very sentimental person. Turning thirty is not freaking me out. I have accomplished a lot in my 20s and I look forward to my 30s. However, it is a changing of the tide. It makes me excited yet nostalgic. And with every birthday, I tend to make resolutions. I tend to make birthday resolutions rather than New Year's. I am sure there will be another post on that topic.

And a strange turn of events, our plans have changed for Saturday. This was going to be our date night. However, when Sweetie dropped off Bug at school today we got an invite for a b-day party for one of Bug's classmate's dad. We don't know them, only through our kids - they are boyfriend/ girlfriend. He kisses her (sometimes bites) and wants to hold her hand - she growls and pushes him away. They invited us since the kids get along and we get along whenever we see them at the school. And neat thing is that he is turning 31 - same age as Sweetie. Funny thing is that we really thought they were older than us. I think we are older than we think we are, lol. So it looks like it is going to be a date day with the party that night. I am excited. Should be fun. Does anyone know what "Colombian aguardiente" is?

Tonight Sweetie and I are doing the final touches on the house for the party. That and eating Vietnamese - yummy spring rolls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm, spring rolls. Sounds good. Great post -- love the reflection. Happy almost birthday!

Anonymous said...

30's are so much better than 20's. Of course, I handled this milestone admirably with drama and booze. In fact, you could say I was hypafrenic. :) Looking forward to partying down with ya!

Anonymous said...

Happy 20-10!

Have a great birthday!