Monday, July 05, 2010

A Happy 4th

We had a great 4th of July. BBQ, family, laughs, and fireworks. It really was good. Last year I had 5th disease so I was in pain. And we couldn't do fireworks due to the drought. The year before I was newly pregnant and feeling like crap (it was the pregnancy I miscarried). This year was awesome, no pain, happily holding my 3 month old while watching my Niece and Bug play, and my Brother was here. That last one really made it wonderful. He has been staying with my mom. And on a purely selfish level, I have loved it. He is close by and Bug has been able to bond with him again. They were even playing soccer outside yesterday. He is already planning on coaching sports for L. My kids are very lucky with the family they have.

This was L's first 4th, and first fireworks. They were fun, but scary. We had several that blew too soon, not far off the ground, or didn't go off at all. The quality simply was not there. And after all the years of incident free fireworks, this year we had a close call. A fountain went off too soon and got Sweetie. I watched him jump back and fall to the ground in the yard across the street. I was by the house, holding L, talking to G, and watching Bug draw with chalk on the driveway. I put L in G's arms and ran to him expecting the worst. I thought for sure there would be blood, a missing ear, and a needed trip to the ER. We are very lucky, his ear is fine, he just needed a minute to recover. He does have a burn/scrape on his shin. He really scared the crap out of me.

It really was fun though, we stayed up until nearly three. The kids were, of course, passed out so we stayed at Gs. Since moving out 13 years ago, I have only stayed here a few times. This morning was lovely. L and I were up first. I cleaned bottles while enjoying the quiet morning. Then we sat outside while he had his breakfast bottle. It was very nice. Now Sweetie is making us breakfast. I don't know what we have in store for today, but so far the holiday weekend has been wonderful.

No comments: