Thursday, May 29, 2008

don't touch it

I did something awesome today. I mailed an envelope - postage paid even. The contents? Four cotton swabs. Why? To get myself on the bone marrow registry. Sweetie is cautious of this, he doesn't want me to have any pain. But I told him that I hope I am picked, I want to help. I think everyone should be on the registry and give blood. Come on, you can save lives. The way I think about it, if I needed it I would want others to have donated.

Yesterday, I went to the Doctor. Bottom line is that I am OK. I have Plantar Fibromatosis. It enlarged in the week I waited for the appointment. When I told the Dr this he asked if I had been massaging it. Well yes, I left off that I read on the internet to do this as he said "well, don't. don't touch it. touching it makes it bigger." So I am in the process of not touching it :-) I have a wrap on my foot and get to wear it for two weeks. Then I go back with my walking shoes and will have inserts made. I can still walk and we will just watch it. I don't have to do anything unless it starts to cause pain - then I face injections or surgery. I hope to get back into my walking very soon. I have no excuses now.

And on a side note, I took the paper invitations to Bug's school today (for the people who I did not have email addresses for). We caught two of her friends as they were leaving. I gave one to Bug and told her to give it to J (her best friend). She held it tight, found J and gave it to her. J took it and said a huge "thank you". Both were jumping and smiling. I don't think either knew what was in the envelope. It was the simple act of giving that made them happy. I love this age.

The full party mode has set in. There is so much to do even with what we have planned. I want it wonderful for her. Nope, not perfect, it won't be and I know this. However, I just want her to have a great time. She is saying over and over "my birthday comes next".

3 comments:

SPP said...

Thank you for the BMT registry! What a wonderful surprise and I cannot beleive u did not tell me :) If you get picked you are put to sleep and they harvest from your hip bone. You are just really sore and brused and will be very tired for about a week as your bone marrow replenishes (sp?) itself. It is the best gift you can give I and I think it is wonderful and great what you have done. Andrew's bone marrow was a gift and I hope someday you can also give that gift. The gift at a chance for life and a cure. I love you to death and am humbled by your generosity (again sp?).

Me

Grammy G said...

I am so proud of you for getting on the bone marrow registry. Good work. Since I'm too old (thanks for pointing that out), I will support you any way I can.

T.E. Wallace said...

Have I mentioned that you are amazing? ... just amazing. I just don't know what else to say. (HUGS)