Saturday, September 18, 2010

how things change

Today was one of those days that showed how things have changed. We enjoyed a lazy morning watching Disney and Lucas and snuggled for a nice little nap. There was a time when we watched the news but that has changed. Then the excitement started with the search for a pillow pet. Three of her classmates have them, and as there are only 8 in her class (including her), we needed to get one to fit in. Our Target did not have the one she wanted so we tried another one today. We had the best time looking through the store, making notes for Christmas for the kids, planning on how we are handling two and keeping things "even". And while we did not find the pillow pet she wanted, it will be ordered tomorrow, we were able to get everything else on the list that Bug kept us to. The most routine task of purchasing diapers and formula was the kind of fun outing I hope Bug will remember. A wonderful lunch followed where L was crazy attacking his rat and sucking on cantaloupe. Bug even ate really well and earned her ice cream.

Browsing Michael's added more planning for the holiday season as well as L's 1st b-day. While at Michael's I had an older woman come over to admire L, I am very used to this as he is quite adorable :-) She commented on how cute both kids were and said I had a beautiful family. This is one of those rare moments where I actually felt my age. I felt like an adult with two kids, I know that sounds silly. But talking to this woman who spoke to me as an adult and not like I am a kid who needed advice made me proud. She told me she was 82 (which is totally awesome) and said her 51 year old has a 17 and 19 year old who just moved in with her. All she said was it was a time of transition. But like any good grandma, she said no matter what kind of transition there was, she was there for them. That made me smile. Now she also made the comment that she was shopping alone to get some time away from them, and that made me chuckle.

After a quick visit with friends and dinner at the mall, requested by Bug of course, I made my request for the evening. I wanted a bubble bath without kids, with my ipod and a glass of wine. As soon as we got home Sweetie started prepping everything. It started out as I planned, with my new favorite wine, vanilla bubble bath, and my music. Then Bug came in to check on me. Man I love that kid, but I wanted some me time. I convinced her to come back later. In 5 seconds she asked. Sure I agreed to this as she is speaking with a lot of numbers and time frames that she doesn't fully understand. But not this time, this time she came back in actually 5 seconds, lol. I gave in and let her join me. While this was not the plan, it turned into an awesome time. I enjoyed a lovely spa treatment of her washing my hair and scrubbing my back. I hugged her tight and we were quite silly with the word mango.

Sweetie didn't realize she had gotten into the tub with me as he was tending to a L. He was so apologetic and promised me that tomorrow I will get my alone bath. I need to tell him that it turned out what I really needed was girl time. It has been six years since we conceived this gift from heaven. She is so amazing and in tune with me. There is a reason for this as she is so much like me. And yes, this leads to conflict at times. We have to have something offset the good, right? But overall she knows when I need a hug or an 'I love you'. And she knew I needed my hair washed and silly talk.

Sweetie is now at Alamo Drafthouse enjoying a boy movie with my Brother. After he left, I did Bug's nails, we watched a little TV, and now all three of us are on the big couch falling asleep waiting for Daddy to return.

That is my exciting big Saturday. And I wouldn't change one thing about it.

No comments: