Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What a Wonderful World

I love this song, most specificity - Sarah Brightman's version. Sweetie and I adore her.

That is truly how I am feeling right now. Today was my last half day of work as Bug goes back to school tomorrow. I have loved coming home, having lunch with Sweetie and then enjoying the afternoon with Bug. But I know that she misses her friends.

Today, after a two hour nap - Oh how I love that she is so snuggly, we went to Target. She stood in the main part of the cart and was the best baby ever. Twice, even though she was being a big girl, she turned and gestured to me that she wanted to be held. The second time, right before we were leaving, she even put her head on my shoulder for the longest time. She is amazing.

I got a pedometer so that I can do the 10k steps a day challenge (15k if you are trying to lose weight, as I am). I need to remember to take it to bed so that I can get every step possible logged tomorrow.

And, we are completing another good day on Phase One. The scale even went down!! A first since starting my meds.

Today is administrative assistant's day. I got a balloon. I need to focus on the thought. But it kind of irked me. This is going to come across snobbish and rude - so let's remember the rules of the sandbox - my blog = my opinions. When I first walked in and saw the balloon, I smiled. It is blue with daisies and read "Thank you for all that you do!" Work has been "less than" and only being there half a day has sucked. I figured my boss was doing something to make me feel better. Well, she was and I need to focus on that. I wasn't at work long before the balloon turned and I saw the other side "Happy Assistant's Day". I was a little shocked. I am on the "management team" of my office. Of course, the management team is almost 50% of the office, but I digress. I am in charge of running the office, tracking people's comings and goings, enforcing our dress code (no open toes unless you have a defined heel), and other responsibilities.

I am not an assistant. I am not a receptionist or secretary (although I do answer the phones and greet people as part of many other duties). I am the Office Manager. I have two freaking degrees - of which I am using neither at this job. I know it sounds bad, but with every "oh yes, happy assistant's day" from the staff as they noticed the balloon, I wanted to scream that I am not up to my eyeballs in student loan debt to be called an assistant. My Mom has received flowers and such on Secretary's Day in the past. She was never offended and I never thought she should be. I think if I was in the office environment that she was in at that time that I would not have thought twice either.

I am trying to make this work or leave before my view of this organization that I love changes.

But back to the title - I know how lucky I am. I know there are MUCH worse things that could go wrong. And that not feeling completely fulfilled at work is NOT the end of the world.

OK, I must get to bed, I have 10,000 steps to aim for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I am also an office manager not an assistant and get completely offended when referred to that way!

Kami said...

Oh, that balloon would have irritated me, too. Dumbass. And, just a balloon? No flowers? No lunch? HUH?