Friday, June 02, 2006

Help Me Internets

So I have an interesting problem. Last week I went on an interview. It is with a CPA firm. It is for 25-30 hours a week and those hours are flexible. While I have accounting experience, I do not have public accounting experience. In spite of that little fact, the position would have me working with clients. The dress code is suits and I would not receive any holiday or vacation pay - being part-time and all.

The CPA told me that she wants to move forward and check my references but the kicker is that she is offering $4 an hour less than I asked as my min. Which is more than I am making now, but due to the reduction in hours it would mean less take home on the weeks where I am at only 25 hours a week. She said that I could get a raise once I pass my CPA - which would give me incentive that I need.

When I first applied to this job I was very excited. I figured I could work from 9-2, drive straight to a library, and then study for another 2-3 hours. I could sit for everything before the end of the year. This would raise my earning power while also giving me public experience.

The reduction in pay would hurt. You see, the pay cut I took to work where I currently am hurt - well tightened us up. Sweetie says if I can figure out the money part that he is supportive either way.

So the problem? It is scary. Bottom line, scared shitless scary. I have never worked with clients. I have never had to be professional. OK friends would say that I am professional. But even when I worked as a Senior I dressed casual and only dealt with auditors, executives, and other departments.

And I am comfy. I think the best way to describe it. I am in a nice comfy bed, wrapped in a down comforter. I don't want to come out. The outside may be cold, the ground may be hard.

That is my current job. I have a great cause, great people, I am learning to work with my boss, and great time off. I know my job. It is stress-free, without overtime, and did I mention - EASY. But... There is no room for advancement, it is not accounting, and the pay will never make Sweetie a stay-at-home-dad.

The decision is hard. Part of me would love the accounting experience. Part of me likes my comfy bed. I worry about stress. I doubt myself. I want to pass this stupid test. I worry I won't get along as well with the two CPAs as I do with my staff here. I worry that if I leave that I will regret it.

I want more time with Bug. I want to feel proud of what I do. Well, that did not come out right. I love where I currently work. And I know it is bad, but my title kills me. I find myself explaining why I am here after being a Senior Accountant.

The other part of me says to enjoy where I am at and study for the stupid test on my own. The thing is that part-time work for a CPA firm rarely deals with clients. That would be a great opportunity. And they are wanting someone who is interested in someday becoming a partner. And if I had time during the day to study without taking time away from Bug on the weekends, man that would be priceless.

Then there is the other part of me. The part that is afraid of the test. Because if I pass that means that I really am WAYYYYYY overqualified for this job and need to leave. And that almost always means more hours and more stress.

2 comments:

Crista said...

Wow, I don't know, this is a tough one, and I couldn't really find my position on it all until near the end, when you said, "And if I had time during the day to study without taking time away from Bug on the weekends, man that would be priceless."

I think, maybe, therein lies your answer.

I hope whatever decision you make comes easily and ultimately feels right.

the greatest said...

So what have you decided?