Saturday, March 01, 2008

always follow your instincts

Today started in the usual way. I had planned on my long walk for tomorrow, in WW you can eat more when you exercise but you must use the points in the day you earned them. Tomorrow is SIL#2's b-day and I wanted the make sure I was covered points wise.

However, this morning I knew I needed to walk. In spite of a later than planned start, I headed out at 8:30. Just as I started I had a thought that I needed to pay attention to nature in my walk. I needed to truly listen, I don't use an ipod or listen to music as I walk. As I walked I listened to the birds, noticed the buds on the tree and felt great. Then I took a turn and went a different way today. I simply walked where I was pulled. As I walked on the new road I saw that an animal had been hit by a car. I always feel sad when I see a dead animal and I try not to look while I say a small prayer for the animal as I pass.

This time as I passed I heard a small sneeze sound and saw a baby on the road, very very small pink baby. I thought it was the baby's last breath. I felt immense sadness, but kept walking. I thought "what can I do, that poor little baby is dying". Then I heard the sneeze sound again and again. I turned around. Mind you I didn't get very far at all, only to the next house. I stop my heart rate monitor and garmin and walk back to see what I could do. The little baby didn't appear to have any injuries. It was very young and its eyes were not open. I looked around and saw two other babies that didn't make the throw. I held him in my hands knowing that I had to do something and decided to take him home. Then I had the thought, what if there are more. I go back to the mother and see many babies in her pouch. I tried to get them but they were securely attached to her tit. I knew we would need to take the mother in to save the babies. Since I was over half a mile away from home, I moved the mother's body to the side of the road, gathered up the little one that I had picked up and headed home. I named him Wally. I talked to him as I walked home. I know I looked crazy. Luckily he was very small and people couldn't see what was in my hand. He wrapped himself around my fingers and his tail around my thumb. It was the neatest thing. When I got home I got the exact response I expected. I walked in saying that I needed everyone's help. We got a box for Wally and his siblings with a towel and while I dressed Bug Sweetie called wildlife rescue. Due to a possum having up to around 13 babies deep in the pouch we were instructed to bring the mother in as well. I called BestFriend and postponed our mani/pedi and headed to get the mother. Her body was cool but not stiff. This was a good sign that the babies in the pouch were still getting the remaining milk.
We were greeted by the nicest woman at wildlife rescue. She let us watch her take the babies out. She had 7 inside of her for a total of 8 that we saved. I told her Wally's name and she didn't think I was crazy - though I did find out Wally is a girl. We made a donation so they can help with the costs of the orphans. It was such a nice experience. They never asked for money. They did have a sign stating that they are a non-profit and the form asked for money - but we were never hounded to give. I appreciated that. She even said that we can call and ask how they are doing. And she said based on how big the babies were, though still very small, had a very high chance of survival.

This made me feel very good. Always listen to instincts. If it weren't for me making sure to listen to everything I heard and taking a different route, they might not have made it. And I love that I have a Sweetie who is so awesome with things like this. Bug didn't fully understand what was going on, but she has been in the best mood ever since. She knows we did something good.

I also dyed my hair last night. I decided to do something fun. BestFriend and I had our mani/pedi and a great lunch. It has been a GREAT Saturday. Even if I still need to get my 4 mile walk in :-)

1 comment:

the greatest said...

seriously, M. That red is YOUR color. If I could pull off red, I would in a heartbeat, but you look like a movie star. And not one of those one-movie ones, I mean the big stars that get followed by paparazzi.