Monday, September 11, 2006

Tears in the Morning

Today marks 5 years since 9-11. This post is not about that. This is not out of disrespect. Rather, this is due to the fact that I feel unable to write a post powerful enough to express my thoughts and attitude about that day. If you wish to read some amazing posts on the subject please go here or here.

This post is about friendship. True friendship is receiving a call and when you hear your friend crying on the other side, you begin to cry too - real tears. Friendship is wanting to do ANYTHING to take care of that friend, but knowing that all you really can do is listen and offer advice based on your own experiences.

This is how my day started. I would not trade it for anything because it means that I am this person's "go to" friend. And friend, if you are reading this, know that it will get better. And know that I am here in any way that you need to help.

And what do I do when I find out another friend has the same traits of friends gone bad in my past. Nothing has been done to me or against me so far. But shouldn't I stop it at the pass and end the friendship, or at least not pursue it, based on this similarity? I am turning 30 in 9 weeks, shouldn't I surround myself with only the best people? If I don't step back, aren't I just waiting to be hurt again? Or would doing this lead to me living in a constant fear and criticism of being hurt? And don't the best people even have their flaws?

Adult friendship is such a tricky thing. Everyone has their own lives, their own drama, their own situations. I am all about surrounding yourself with a variety of people in a variety of situations. At what point do you say "sorry, your difference is too much for me"?

I think the bigger question is, what traits define "the best people"?

No comments: