Thursday, May 04, 2006

This salsa was made in NYC. Get a Rope.

I survived the audit/regional controller visit. Everyone was so worried here, even my boss. It turned out to be the EASIEST audit I have ever experienced. I did not have to pull invoices, journal entries, or even bank statements. All I had to do was answer simple questions, sit in on meetings and go to lunch with him. So, all in all, not a bad couple of days.

Having the Controller here cracked me up. He is from NYC. He was SHOCKED when he read a "no handguns allowed inside the building". He could not get over that we can carry weapons and that they can even be concealed if you have the correct permit.

All I could say was "well, this is Texas".

He also experienced some nice Central Texas weather: rain, thunder, lightening, and hail. He kept saying "It was 80, how could there be hail". When I told him that it is thunderstorm season he said he would take the snow any day.

He told me that I need to visit NYC but not live there. LoL, I so agree.

I took him to lunch today to Trudy's - very Austin. We sat at the bar and the bartender was very Austin with his Big black earrings causing the earring hole to be at least a 1/4", tats, and grunge type clothing. The controller pointed out that this guy would fit-in in NYC. This coming from a small Indian man in a suit. I honestly think he thought this man looked "out of the norm" and was making the comment to let me know that he is used to seeing this. I don't think he had an idea of how normal this man looked.

The funniest part was when he would ask questions. The lunch was the end of the visit and was just the two of us. We already discussed work the day before so he was trying his hardest at good conversation. He asked me what kind of music I listen to. After I answered, he was shocked that I did not list country music as one of my favorites. He asked me if I carry a gun, after the whole "no gun in the building discussion". He was shocked that I do not know anyone who has the conceal carry permit. I was a little surpised when he said he listens to classic rock. Then he defined classic rock as 80's and Guns and Roses. I like this music a lot, but I do not think I would call it Classic Rock.

Then it got bad, all I can say is that the was really trying to figure us Texans out. He asked if I own cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. I told him that I had some boots from when I was in Jr High but have not worn them in over 15 years. He was shocked. He asked what I do for fun. When I said some of the things we do, he came back with "you hunt, right". I told him no. He said "well, hunting is big here right"...

He spoke of his 45 minute commute, which from what I have heard is not bad for NYC. He said it is hard because he has to use both the heater and the AC during the year. Without a pause he says "you never use your car heater do you?" Uh yes, we do. Not as much as you snow people, but it is still cold at 40 degrees and warrants a heater.

Then he told me that he is going to Dallas and Houston next month. Poor guy is going to think he has this whole Texas thing figured out based on Austin, and then be shocked by Houston and Dallas. Nothing against either, but Austin is one of a kind.

He did tell me that everyone is nicer here then NYC. He also said that the Tex Mex is much better here. I smiled and told him that I hope so.

No comments: