Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Shame on Texas

It saddens me to report the results of the election today. The amendment to define marriage as only a man and woman passed. IT PASSED! How is this possible? How can people be this stupid? I am emotional as I write this. Travis County, the majority of Austin voted against. This makes me happy. Austin has a very liberal reputation with things like this. However, the remaining portions of the state did not agree. I saw an interview with a man on the against side. He was taking the loss in stride. He explained that other discrimination cases did not pass the first time, race or sex, he said that the Travis County results made him want to keep working. He said there will come a day when gay marriage is recognized. I only hope it happens in his lifetime.

This evening is the first time I have felt ashamed of my State. It makes me sad.

No comments: