Saturday, July 24, 2004

Sarah Was Perfect

Last night was the Sarah McLachlan concert. It was so wonerful. Butterfly Boucher opened and was really good. The lines were too long to purcahase her CD so I will investigate on-line. Sarah sang 9 songs from Afterglow and 10 from Mirrorball. There were about 3 or 4 that I did not know. And she sang Black Bird - I love that song.

This concert is not like a Madonna or any of the boy bands. There were no dancers or gimicks. She walked out on stage in jeans and a spaghetti strap tank top type shirt. Perfect! She looks great. We had great seats. And when we felt we needed more detail there were two large screens on either side of her. She was even wearing one of the yellow Lance Armstrong bracelets.

One thing that I loved was when she was on stage alone with a spot light and sang "You are my Sunshine" as the intro to "Hold On", which was Perfect. She talked to the audience with such ease - she is good at what she does. Everything was so perfect. Her band left the stage and I told my Sweetie to wait for an encore. He mumbled something about artists not doing encores anymore. Haha I was right. She came back out to sing like 5 or 6 songs. She just kept coming back on :-) The last time she came out all the equipment was in the process of being packed up so she took to the piano and finished from a song from Afterglow.

It was like I knew her. It is funny there is a friend of mine that is very confident and powerful. Sarah sounded just like her. We both were reminded of the dark Diva. I will have to tell her and hope it is not an insult :-)

I believe music is very important. It stimulate learning and encourages thinking in a way that a text book cannot. While I do not currently play an instrument - I do listen to music. However, I do not listen to music in the way of mindless on the radio. I am sure I am not the only one. Whenever I have a rough time in my life I turn to music - normally one artist - and completely embreace the albulm. It helps me deal with the issues. This has been true since I was in Junior High and Chicago helped me through a breakup.

I love Sarah McLachlan. However, I have not always been a die hard fan - heck I did not know about 4 songs last night. But her CD Mirrorball helped me through one of the roughest patches in my life. For that I will always be grateful to her and her music. I listened to this CD almost daily for a year. It was my therapy. And it was amazing to experience my therapy live. This has to be the best Valentines present from my Sweetie.

No comments: