Thursday, July 01, 2004

The results are in

Yesterday I went to an Orthopedic Surgeon. This is the doctor that fixed my best friend's knee. So I trust him. I kidnapped my ma and we went together. Of course I overestimated the trip and we had time to eat lunch and then go to a couple of cool shops on Georgetown's square. It was fun.

I like the office building - it reminds me of camp with log cabins for offices. The wait was not terribly long and the people were very nice. The Dr lived up to my expectations of being a hottie. This is important :-)

He asked some questions and then moved my knee cap around and looked at my alignment. My knee hurt for hours after, but it was nothing that could be avoided. I really appreciate his up front personality. I even more appreciate that he is not a doctor who believes to cut now and repair later.

My fears did come true. I feared that the process would be long and the solution unclear. I should have gone to Vegas yesterday - I was right on.

The problem is that my knee and hip alignment are off. Short people have this problem even without injury. My injury made it worse. Another factor to cause the knee to move is weight.

This is the part that hit me the hardest. I know that I need to lose weight. The last doctor to look at my knee said that it was the weight - however, she did not explain why. The difference is that this time I was not put on a scale and he told me to lose weight. This means that I actually do appear heavy. Every other time it has been the doctor looking at my chart and then mentioning something. This was better in my brain. Yesterday hit me pretty hard - had a lot to think about.

The other very strange thing, I believe in signs and "meant to be's" is this doctor did not appear on my insurance list the first time I checked, but was there the second. I knew I had to go to him. After all he came so highly recommended. Then a couple of weekends ago I buy the South Beach Diet book and read it from cover to cover, completely on a whim. Well yesterday in the office as the doctor discussed weight loss he recommended the South Beach Diet to me. How strange is that? I just finished reading it. So I am doing it - on it today. Hoping for good signs.

Here is the summary of my plan:
~Lose weight
~Physical Therapy
~Have to wear in-soles in my shoes - no more sandals for awhile. Good thing I work in a casual office.
~Go back in 6 weeks - if these things don't help we will discuss more options.

So I have 6 weeks to do things correctly. I looked at what I have going on and planned my "off" days. Then last night my Sweetie and I went to dinner and I finished with ice-cream. How else do you start a new commitment?

I did not lose weight during my half marathon training because of my thyroid. The good news is that I have been on my medicine for a few months now and I am normal again. This means that I can work on losing weight any my body should agree with me and cooperate.

I am supposed to meet with Team In Training tonight about mentoring. However, with school, work, friends, and now knee treatment - I don't think I will have time. BLAH. I think I will still talk to my physical trainer and discuss the option for Motive Bison. However, I know that I might be told to lay low from long distance walking until the weight is gone. Will keep you updated.

No comments: