Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Human Condition

Saturday night my Sweetie and I went to Carmina Burana performed by the Ballet Austin. It was wonderful. The show began with One/the body's grace. Actually, the Ballet Austin will be premiering the full version of this show in New York at the Joyce Theater October 5-9. This is so wonderful.

Back to this performance. The show started with an exert from One/the body's grace. It was beautiful. Then the main event began. O Fortuna is the first piece. The curtain lifts to show very industrial props. The stage has several men wearing sleeveless hooded black shirts. Two of the men are in the center of the stage with the remaining cast in the background in front of the choir. One man is behind what looks like a prison door with the other on the other side. It is a powerful piece. The main thing to keep in mind with this production is that the dances were not necessarily associated with the poems that the piece is based on. Through powerful music the men from the back begin the dance with the other two men, taking down the prison-like wall. These men are gorgeous. There is nothing I like better than a stage full of men dancing, but then again I am partial to this kind of thing (aka fall 1994 when my Sweetie was a part of SWT's first all male modern dance performance). So the best part of this portion? In my opinion, was when all men but three threw their shirts off revealing only black like speedos underneath. Can I say YUM??? There was a huge smile on my face (which did not bother my Sweetie as he saw a lot of a woman's butt cheek during the opening act).

The remaining portion of the performance was wonderful. The singers were heavenly. I am going to make sure to put this on my ipod so I can relive it. It was such a wonderful evening. We started with a romantic dinner and drinks, went to the ballet, and finished with cheesecake for dessert. It was so "us".

Remaining report on the weekend: Friday - niece's b-day party, wonderful. Saturday - listed above, wonderful. Sunday - Church, Serif's first blessing and met the Priest. Family nap (Mom, me, Serif, and Sweetie were so lazy), get together at MotoDiva's house with her family and DarkDiva's family, so wonderful (but missed BestFriend from this mix) we discussed Carnaval (I can't wait), and now I am here posting before heading to bed for some snuggling ;-)

Another great part of the evening was when my Sweetie commented on my pants being too big. That made me simply beam.

Here we are before heading out:

No comments: