Tuesday, August 31, 2004

First night over

Class went well last night. It was Accounting Ethics from 7-10. Of course the instructor held us the whole time. She is a tough cookie, but one of my all time favorites - in spite of everything. This class format is like the course I took last fall - Cost Management. The class is case based. This means that we read real life cases and analyze. I was wondering how she would approach an Ethics course. Luckily she decided on the case approach. We read AICPA code on ethical issues as well as selected cases - yes Enron and Martha Stewart are a couple of recent cases on our agenda - and then go to class to discuss. Last night was the first class. However, she got us going and the night held a few heated debates. I loved it. Then we kind of acted out the case we read. We had assigned roles and played out the court case, nothing scripted. I was able to be an attorney and able to question the management that created the fraud. I was awesome. I had absolutely no problem with this role or the fact that I was in front of the class. mmmmmm perhaps law school :-) Ok maybe not law school - will leave that for others. However, I feel more confident in my abilities to become an auditor.

I think I am going to really like this semester. Not only does everything I am doing tie together - school wise as well as CPA, but I am genuinely interested in the classes and exams. I stayed after last night and spoke with the professor about my upcoming CPA exam. She was so excited. I wanted to make sure she knew because the last time she saw me I was working for EVIL and not myself. She could not believe everything that is in the section I am taking. I also announced to the entire class when I sit for the BEC section. Now I have to pass.

No comments: