Sunday, February 19, 2006

It's damn cold

It is very cold here in Austin. It is never a good when the temp goes from 80 to 30 - only causes people to get sick.

I was still sick this weekend - SUCKS. I spent most of the day on Saturday napping and resting up for the Blog Blowout. Then my nose started running again, even with medicine, my cough made me sound like a baby seal, and my head felt like it was stuffed with cotton. I realized quickly that while being out on the town with a bunch of Blogging Bitches would be AWESOME, that I had to feel good for the next day's marathon cheer stations. Not to mention that if I sent the sick home with these women, they would ultimately kick my ass.

Then we went to take my mom home, who was hanging out with us, and my car did not stop. I don't mean to sound over dramatic, but I don't think I was supposed to go out last night. Plain and simple. MIL watched the Olympics with us last night and I was able to play with Bug. We were in bed before 10. That felt great.

The alarm came early this morning. No, I take that back, Mom's call came early this morning. Austin iced over a bit during the night - FUN. There was a 19 car pile up during the night and she wanted to make sure that the cheer stations were a go. The marathon was postponed by 30 minutes, but it went on as scheduled. And with the bad weather, we were needed even more as a lot of people would stay in bed - and I don't blame them.

If you participated today, I saw you. Well, I tried to see you. I was at the mile 8 cheer station. I held my sign high and screamed a lot. I did not think I would have a voice for mile 20. We saw everyone at mile 8 - the first Kenya type runners to the stragglers. The best part of the runners was when I would make contact with someone "you can do this" and they would smile back at me or give me a thumbs up. I tried to make eye contact with someone with each group.

The best part overall was when the walkers came in. Not the racewalkers, like I would like to be someday - who keep up with the runners, but the slow peeps. The overweight, non-athletes. The ones doing it step by step. Most of these only did the half, as I did when I was in the same position. The walkers are nice because you can read their names. There is nothing better than hearing "Come on Missy you can do it" from strangers. You can also talk more to the walkers. The walkers, the slow ones, are the ones who thanked us. You see when the race began our corner was PACKED. Families, friends, and general support filled the sidelines. However, by the time the walkers came, we were the only ones there, the 7 in my group - including Mom and me. I cranked it up. I screamed louder. My feet were killing me due to the cold, my thighs were aching. But I knew they needed us. The walkers who thanked us, they meant it. We even got a few cheers back at us.

After the last person came, we packed up and headed to mile 20. This is typically the "wall" from what I have been told. This was a fun cheering point. There was more stopping and hugging family. And the same thing happened, by the time the walkers came, we were the only ones there. We cheered them on. Mom and I bowed out and did not go to the finish. That would be one place where plenty of people were.

When I got home, 7 hours later, I felt like I would after a LSD with my training. I was sore, tired, and hungry. I grabbed a Bug and took a much needed nap.

My mom was such a trooper. She did not have to do this, and in her car because of mine not working. She stood in the cold beside me, making me proud. Everyone at our station loved her. Everyone does. We were cold, tired, and more tired. But we got to spend some good time together. WAY TO GO MOM!!!!

It was so worth it to be the one cheering on everyone. We saw old and young, heavy and thin. Amazing, really. I remember the 8 mile cheer station at Motive, my first half. It meant everything. I think that was really what made me want to work where I am. 2.5 years ago I started this whole process. My life, and so much of it, is different. That was a huge step for me. I took charge. While my thyroid kept me heavy - clinically obese actually, I completed 2 half marathons. My whole life changed from that kick-off party I attended in August 2003. I would have never guessed. I do not think that I would have been able to walk the distances that I did without Team in Training.

I was awesome to be able to cheer on the walkers all the while understanding what they were feeling. If you have an opportunity to partcipate in Team in Training - DO IT. It will not only change your life but helps find a cure for Blood Cancers.

And please please please keep Deb in your thoughts and prayers.

GO TEAM!!

1 comment:

Grammy G said...

I was so proud and happy to be out there with you. Even though I have not completely thawed out yet, I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Love,
Grammy G