Friday, March 10, 2006

Bowling anyone?

Before I begin my fun post, I will give an update on my Graves' Disease. I gave blood at 12:35 on Wednesday, I got a call at 10:00 on Thursday (less than 24 hours later) with the results. All three chemicals in my thyroid are not normal. So they wanted my decision for treatment. This threw me as the Lab told me that I would not get results until Friday. I thought I had another day to research. We decided on the anti-thyroid medication instead of the radiation killing of the thyroid. I know that we cannot become pregnant while on this medication - but I want to give my body a chance to recover without something so drastic as killing the organ all together. I got my meds last night. The pharmacist called because he did not feel comfortable filling the prescription without talking to me or the Dr. When I talked to him, he asked why I was prescribed this drug. He was concerned because my history shows all drugs for HYPO and here I am getting a drug for HYPER from a new Dr. I really appreciate such service. Kudos to CVS. I start my drug today or tomorrow. I am changing a lot of my lifestyle as soon as I start the medication. I refuse to gain the normal 25 pounds with treatment. The biggest issue with the drug is that you have to take it at the same time every day, under the same conditions. This means if you have a piece of toast in your belly = you should ALWAYS have a piece of toast in your belly.

Fun at last, Sweetie, Bug, and I went to MainEvent last night. He tried out for his company's bowling team. This is very neat. I want him involved. Bug and I played games, got our picture "sketched", and watched the bowling. This was with serious bowlers. There were five guys trying out for only three spots. Guess what? Sweetie got an e-mail today saying that he gets to go back on Tuesday for the next round of tryouts. This means we get to bowl this weekend. Yay. I totally suck, but have a great time. The neatest thing is that Sweetie uses his dad's ball. And his dad was on a company team. Life is very funny sometimes.

1 comment:

Crista said...

Life *is* funny sometimes. Sounds like fun!

I think I would make the same choice as you re: the meds. Here's hoping they do the trick!

In the FWIW department, you seem to be dealing with all of this incredibly well, and I'm impressed by your strength and your matter-of-factness about it all. I firmly believe you are going to conquer this disease.