Thursday, April 28, 2005

No more school?

Since Tuesday, I have felt very different. There are no more assignments on my mind, no research to accomplish, and no e-mail to anticipate regarding assignments due the first day of class in the next semester. I am done with school. This feels very different.

Even with all of the freak-out moments within my journey, I have truly enjoyed school. I will miss the anticipation of the first class, reading the syllabus, and buying the supplies. I will miss the pride in telling people that I am a student while working full time.

Yes, I am an emotional person in general. Yes, I am more emotional due to JuneBug. However, I feel a great mixture of feelings, pride, accomplishment, sadness, and even a slight bit lost. Since 1999, SEU has been a large part of my life. When I think of that timid 22 year old who asked for directions to Holy Cross Hall, I feel such warmth and happiness. I have changed tremendously. However, this journey was one that I chose and my Sweetie followed suite with support. I felt drawn to my school. I knew it is where I needed to be. Now look at me. I am graduating with a graduate degree, eligible to sit for the CPA, and expecting our first child.

SEU did not only offer academic growth. I also grew emotionally and spiritually. I had to rely on myself; I had to have faith in my abilities. Moreover, I learned that I could accomplish great things when I put my mind to it. My instructors watched me transform. My mentor spoke with me after I started graduate school regarding my change. She told me that I began at SEU as very mousey (kind of funny that she used this term) and did not feel strong about my answers or beliefs. She continued explaining that my self-esteem skyrocketed throughout the program. She could see my confidence rise in my ability to answer ethical questions in class without caring what anyone thought. I agreed when she told me these things. I could see the difference. The difference was good.

My school’s focus is on applied ethics and teamwork. I had several classes where the class was a discussion-based course and we would discuss case studies. These classes would heat with debate. However, everyone respected each other and knew that we all were in the same situation (adults working full time and that kind of thing). I will miss these debates. I felt safe in these debates. In a school my size, you have to feel safe due to most classes (for the graduate level) having an average of 10 students. There is no place to hide.

My big decision now is how to celebrate my degree. I have a class ring from my BBA. I think I will get an engrave-able pendent from James Avery to mark the special occasion. I think my Sweetie and I will look this weekend.

I will send out my graduation invites tonight. My Sweetie designed a website with all of the information. This is very nice due to only giving 2 weeks notice. He did a wonderful job and his pride in my accomplishment is very evident.

GO HILLTOPPERS!!!

No comments: