Saturday, April 09, 2005

You having baby, yes?

I am sitting on my bed listening to Tori Amos and trying so hard to work on this research for my meeting tomorrow. I am distracted. I feel that maybe, just maybe, if I write my thoughts in my blog that I might be better equipped to find financing for non-profit cooperative housing.

Ever since I was very small, my family has eaten at a particular Chinese restaurant. When my Sweetie and I got together, it became our restaurant. This is good food and even more impressive, they have been in business for over 20 years without changing management. The owner has watched me grow up. Many times over the past few years she has asked us “any babies yet?” We always smiled and said “no” without going into details about my schooling. She has even asked my mom about it, “when are they going to give you grandbabies”. Since becoming pregnant, we have eaten there often, even more since I started showing – in hopes to be able to say, “yes” to that all-important question. However, she has not been at the restaurant the times we chose to dine there. Last night we stopped in for a very impromptu date. She was there. She was not sure but we could see her looking at my belly. At the end of the meal, my Sweetie got up to go to the restroom. While away she came up to set the next table and said very casually “you going to have a baby?” I replied with a proud “yes”. She could not believe that I am due in June. My Sweetie walked up just as I was saying the due date. Come to find out her b-day is only 4 days after our due date, so who knows - I am thinking free egg rolls for life if we get the same date. Throughout the whole time, she kept saying how great I look. She said I did not look tired or anything and was impressed that I am still working. I was not even wearing any makeup so it was just what I needed to hear. It is official; we know that this will be the first public outing that we will take our JuneBug to after her arrival.

Today we were very productive. We bought three new tires for my Sweetie’s car and one for mine – of course my flat was not fixable. After we headed to campus. My Sweetie worked on ideas for a mural in JuneBug’s room while I worked on my project due on Monday. After I did all that I could for that sitting, we decided to walk around my campus. I love my school. I will miss it so much. My Sweetie took pictures of me in front of the red door of Main Building. It was such a nice day and such a great chance to enjoy the quietness that a Saturday afternoon holds.

Walking around campus made me think of the memories that I have over the last five and a half years. I appreciate my degrees more because of how I had to earn them. I did not have someone to pay for schooling. I am not complaining. I think I appreciated it more knowing that it was my money and knowing how much debt we compiled during the process. I also did not have the luxury of attending school without working. This is one reason why I ended up at my school. The program that I earned my BBA through is geared for working adults. This means all classes on nights and weekends. While it was hard, when I graduated I had a great resume due to the years of experience along with my degree. I will miss my school greatly. My Sweetie loves my school as much as I do, and he attended a different university.

After our exploration of my school, it was time to head home and complete more research.

No comments: