Thursday, March 10, 2005

Mental Health Day

Intellectual lawn
Spring day pulls the masses
Clear skies and soft breeze
Such a wonderful feeling

iPod playing in my ears
Steel drums not far away
They seem in time
A Broadway musical for me

I smile taking it all in
This might be my last full day
I spend on campus as a student
A yellow butterfly soars in front of me

This is my school
Where I should be
I started here on my own
Out of my own decision and need

I sway to the music that only I hear
Others read, sun bathe, and play Frisbee
I feel emotional
My journey here is coming to an end

I lie down on the bed of grass
The tree as my comforter
I feel at peace
Then I feel Serif kick
Life is good.

So long ago, yet it feels like yesterday, I walked on this campus to meet my advisor and begin my journey. I asked the first student that I saw to point out Holy Cross Hall. It is a beautiful old building with much history. I had no idea that five and a half years last I would be at the end of my graduate degree. I love my school.
I picked it for several reasons.
1) When I was looking and sending inquiries to the local schools, this is the only one that called me directly – the others sent a form letter.
2) Size – I liked the feel and the attention that comes with a small class
3) My father wanted to go here. However, I never stepped onto campus until the day I officially started the process
4) Flexible class schedules – I would not have to stop working to complete my degree
5) It always felt where I should be

So many of my decisions happened due to situations and factors at the time. This was a decision I made on my own. I announced to the worked that I was going back to school at SEU. It wasn’t a question but a proclamation. I started here not knowing a soul and am leaving with lifelong friends.

Leaving the school you love shouldn’t happen when you are overly emotional. I took advantage of being on campus and bought baby items. So very exciting. When I graduated with my undergraduate degree, I started the MBA program the next month. Now I will graduate with my MBA and start the MOM program the next month. It makes me walk around looking like a crazy woman, with my huge smile – almost as big as my belly :-)

No comments: