Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My Dear Friends

I am having another pregnancy hormone attack. Do not worry – it is a good one. I am simply overwhelmed by my friends. The ones here and outside of the Austin area. They are true friends. How does that song go? Friends are Friends forever. That sounds nice. However, it is not true. I have had my fair share of less than desirable friends. From my college roommate who ended up with a guy who abused her and she pushed me away in the process, to another who hung out with me to try and get my guy, to others who tried to mentally abuse me and discourage my success. I understand in these situations that they were not true friends. I also understand that their actions were not solely about me and I do not hold any grudges. My only point is a comparison.

The Divas are amazing. I know that they would never treat me badly or betray me – we are a sisterhood. My Sweetie likes me to hang out with these women. They are stronger than any of my past friends and much more intelligent. I have been with my Sweetie for almost 13 years, so he is a pretty good judge on comparing present and past friends. I am honored that they include me in their group, even with me being the youngest. It honors me even more that they consider me as intelligent as they are. I do not see it yet, but I will not argue the compliment.

MotoDiva is staying with Best Friend until she can move into her own place. Apparently, there was a “secret” meeting about me last night. They were discussing my baby shower. You see MotoDiva is a project manager, PMP, as a trade. She is the best to talk to with about any project. All three women are very excited about this baby. Last I heard, DarkDiva is going to design the invites. Her first degree is in Studio Art – before she decided to go back to school and become a doctor.

I met Best Friend Christmas of 2001 and we started hanging out at the beginning of 2002. She was instantly telling me how wonderful, smart, and successful that I am. It was very different from my best friend at the time. She changed my life. I can say that for sure. She also understands depression and what I go through. My self-esteem skyrocketed with her. She is the one who introduced me to MotoDiva and DarkDiva. This group also showed me that it is ok to only surround yourself with those that you like and respect.

I am very lucky that my only friends are not only in Austin. Sweetie’s Best friend from highschool’s wife is a good friend. In spite of everything going on in her life, she always checks up on me. She has even offered to come and stay with me some after the baby. This is much appreciated. She is a good friend that I feel very comfortable confiding in.

I am having a day where I feel very blessed.

I received an update from Classmates.com, the reunion is drawing near so I always check the updates. I think my Sweetie is the only part of me that is the same since 10 years ago. I am more confident, more able, more compassionate, have a better body image, and feel much less of a need to “fit in” with everyone. I guess to sum it up – I like who I am, I like the life I live, and I love those who are around me.

No comments: