Thursday, September 01, 2005

I Am In Charge Here

On my post about dropping Serif off at school, I received a comment. Yes, the comment has been removed. I cannot believe someone posted this. The comment said along the lines that I am a bitch for sending my daughter to daycare. Well, I have some things to say.

First, I am doing what is best for MY family. I am a better mother for going to work. Unfortunately, I do not have the choice about working at this point in time. While I am surprised about someone who has had two abortions and considering another calling me a bad mother, I would never call her a bitch, let alone on her little piece of cyberspace. My reason? No matter how it sounds, I do not know the situation. I have never lived in her shoes. Therefore, even if it is something I do not think I could ever do, I can not judge because I do not know.

I have mixed feelings about working. Part of me says I should stay home. The problem there is the sense of self that one loses. I know people who have had this happen. Staying home for the 12 weeks was wonderful, mostly because I was paid 100% for the whole time. However, my depression was worse, although not horrible. I have been doing so good the last two days.

I know women who stay home. For all the SAHMs out there - WAY TO GO!!! It is a hard job. I love my job and what I do. I love using my brain and solving puzzles. I love that I have my MBA and use it. I am about to sit for a very hard test and I am excited about it.

If we could afford it, I am not sure of what my decision would be. However, the truth is that my mom and Sweetie said that they thought I would do best at work. I am lucky. I have flextime. I go in early and leave at 4, that way I get hours with her. I can work from home if needed and I have 26 weeks of sick time a year - this counts towards family as well as myself.

I know of women who had to go back to work after only four weeks. I cannot imagine that. I am so lucky to have 12 weeks with this wonderful girl. I believe parenting is about love and quality. I believe 15 hours of quality time is better than 24 hours of so-so.

So with that, this is my Blog. I would appreciate it if those who disapprove and continue to read, although I don't understand why one would continue to read when there is such strong negative feelings, please keep your opinions to yourself.

1 comment:

the greatest said...

The person that posted should learn to reflect upon their own internal issues before lashing out at the object of their envy, because envy is exactly what that was. You are by far one of the most amazing mothers I have ever met. Serif will be so much stronger a person physically and mentally than any other child I have met to this date. You are doing the right thing.