Saturday, September 24, 2005

A walk to ponder - long

I knew I needed to walk today. I know I need consistency. This morning was only 83 degrees, I like this temp. Alas, my Bug was not up to walking with me so she stayed home with daddy. This meant it was time for my first real walk alone. I walked alone for 20 and 22 minutes in July. However, then I was still cautious and careful. Since then my walks have been with my Bug and Sweetie and at night.

Today I walked alone. Today I fully walked. I am a walker. Deep down inside it is my "sport". Today proved this yet again.

As I prepared for my walk, I was a little worried. I planned to be out for only 20 minutes. Once I am outside, I see the beautiful blue sky - much like the sky for my Motorola Half Marathon in Feb 2004.

I start out.

Our neighborhood is filled with extra cars. Cars that belong to friends and family that reside in hurricane Rita's path. I listen to Orbital - Halcyon & on & on. I love this song.

My feet move, my arms swing. I feel the sun on my face. I see Jimmy, a pitbull in my neighborhood who is sweet as can be.

Flash back - Years ago, on a walk similar to this one, Jimmy got out of his yard. I always say "hello" to animals, helps to show that I am not afraid, and it is polite. He ran up to me. I swear he was smiling. He decided that I am friend material. He walked with me. Close enough that everyone thought he was mine. I figured if he followed me home I would take him in and try to find his home (I did not know where he lived at the time). A man walking a pitbull bitch came walking towards us. Jimmy ran up to the bitch, still smiling and I swear saying, "hello, wanna walk with me, I am having fun." The owner pulled her back, as she was not as happy to see Jimmy (I have no fear as to her being a bad dog, any girl would react if a goofy guy runs up - I have a very strong belief regarding punish the deed - not the breed - but I digress). The man said, "go home Jimmy". At the time we were across the street from his house. The man also added to me "he always gets out". Jimmy went home. I am not sure how the fence has been repaired. However, I have only seen him looking out his front window since that wonderful walk. I so badly want to go up, ring the doorbell, and ask if Jimmy can come out to play. He is by far the sweetest pit I have ever met, and with floppy ears, and white with a brown patch over one eye, I fell in love. - Back to current walk.

Not only did I see Jimmy, I saw another pit with the owner. The yard next to their walk had a sprinkler. The owneer released the leash enough for the dog to run through the water. It was a great sight. As I passes this point on my way back I had to hold myself back from doing the same thing.

I saw birds, big and small. I saw butterflies, of course. I saw a family of dragonflies. My alarm went off after 10 minutes. It was time to turn around. "No", I thought, I wanted to keep going. I restarted it. I decided for a 40 minute walk. Intensity is based on your ability to communicate. If you can sing, it is light. If you can talk but not sing, it is moderate. If you have trouble making complete sentences, it is high intensity. Today I walked at high intensity. While not fast, I have never been fast, I worked my body.

Side note - when did kids start buying plastic ramps for their bikes. A bunch of kids were on bikes and setting up this plastic ramp. In my day (oh my goodness, I have become old), kids made their own ramps, usually to their own detriment. But we were tough then, LOL. I simply smiled and used the reference to remember watching boys in my neighborhood attempt the perfect jump. Even my Sweetie had an accident on a homemade ramp.

I turned another corner, I was walking further than me and my sweetie had with only 5 extra minutes for the walk. I saw the fence that marks where we would turn around during our 40 minute walks during marathon training. The fence approached. I looked at my watch, I still had time. I passed the first fence. Then the second fence, I was sure I would not make this landmark. Alas, it came and went as well. The end of the street approached. My alarm went off just as I hit the end of the street. I felt great.

Thank you Rita. While you may not bring rain, you brought perfect walking conditions, in my opinion. The second half of my walk was filled with a wonderful cool breeze. Enough of a breeze to make the walk feel almost effortless, almost at least. I hit the last block. I was walking strong enough for me to feel the efforts in my buttocks and thighs. What a wonderful feeling. I get inside. The walk is complete. 40 minutes of high intensity walking. My face is red, my legs uneasy, and my throat needing water.

I sip on tap water. I take a shower. I feel fantastic.

No comments: