Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Sad Day

I miss my father today. 8 years ago he passed away suddenly. My Sweetie's father passed away suddenly 4 months before my dad, so he understands. I am extremely date oriented. Perhaps too much so.

Being at work has actually been good. I have been able to be distracted. I did almost start crying when I told my work friend Tiffany what today means to me. So I went to lunch with her and AP to celebrate her b-day (was on Friday).

So I thought today should be a post about him - it will be very random.

My father was a wonderful man. He was not perfect, but no one is. He was a great father. I remember on Christmas Eve he would read to us. He made the best popovers. He had a tattoo of a pyramid and a snake. When I touched it he would hiss. He was always so approving of my boyfriends, even if he was dying inside at my growing up. I took him to a career day when I was in 5th grade. He demonstrated about being a Surveyor. Although he didn't have a degree, he was very intelligent. Mind like a port-a-potty, full of useless shit, as he would say. He loved my Sweetie as if his own son. He told my Sweetie when asking for my hand in marriage, "either shit or get off the pot". While he did not get to attend my wedding, he did see the romantic proposal. He was a very talented musician. He taught himself the guitar. As a child he played the piano and violin. He always knew I would go back to school. He was great at math. He liked bad kung fu movies and butterscotch pudding. He taught me money wasn't important with happiness.

I miss him terribly. I was such a daddy's girl. I knew I could depend on him. I knew he would save the day. I see Bug look at my Sweetie the way I must have looked at my dad. There are many traits similar between my Sweetie and father. I simply have to keep my Sweetie around longer than 20 more years.

3 comments:

Summer Girl said...

thinking of you and this difficult day....

Missy said...

Thank you katie. That means so much. I love that through the internet and blogging we meet people we never would. It is fantastic. I hope your little boy is doing wonderful.

Grammy G said...

Thank you for being you.