Thursday, January 19, 2006

Found Me

The background check came back clear - knew it would.

It is official, I have given up the good paying world of Accounting to work in Non-profit. The paycut is 30%, but the feeling of reward that working for an organization like this provides more than compensates.

I am the office manager/bookkeeper. I start on the 1st, unless I decide I need a couple more days of my fun, lol. This means no more close or audits (for now). This took up most of my time when I was putting in long hours. I will be doing things to help the chapter. I will do things that make me feel proud.

The pay cut was hard. For a few years I was the breadwinner - when Sweetie was only bartending, due to the stupid economy. For me to take a pay cut was hard. Then I found a journal entry I wrote in July when I was working on the 30 days to change your life (still need to finish that). The question asked "what is happiness"? I described this job to a T, even the paycut and short commute (half what it was for my last job).

I look at it this way. It is a great way to get into non-profit (to get positions any higher organizations normally require non-profit experience) and it is a reduced stress environment so I can study for the CPA and not work long hours. I know this is going to lead to great things.

I am very happy. I can tell my daughter that I do not work to make someone else rich, I work to save lives.

I look over the past month and a half. My last weeks working for Asshole are a blur, like looking at my work-life through a glass of water. My leaving gave me confidence. I stood up for myself and knew better things would come. I told Sweetie that I could get a better paying job than even at my last job. He told me that it wouldn't be worth the stress. He is proud of me. Mom is proud of me. That is all that matters. Oh and Bug growls. But she growls all the time.

Now that it is for sure, I am motivated to clean and organize with my time off.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats! It feels good to do something that you love!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Congratulations on the new job. It is going to be so great!

I just cut back my hours to part time at work. It is a pay cut and less money a week but I can concentrate on my school work and I can have some sanity back in my life. I am so happy to not be working full time now I just need to find another job and all will be bliss!

Grammy G said...

I am so proud of you. You followed your heart and not your wallet. It's hard to do but you did it. It shows what a wonderful person you really are.

Guess you had some wonderful parents to raise someone like you.

Love,
Grammy G